• versio
    The Technology of PS3
    Eddie Edwards, April 2003
    Foreword

Recent news articles have explained that the patent application for the technology on which PS3 will assumedly be based is now available online. I've spent some time examining the patent and I have formed some theories and educated guesses as to what it all means in practice. This document describes the patent and outlines my ideas. Some of these guesses are informed by my knowledge of PS2 (I was one of the VU coders on Naughty Dog's Jak & Daxter although I do not work for Sony now). You may wish to refer to Paul Zimmons' PowerPoint presentation which has diagrams that might make some of this stuff clearer. Also, until I get told to take it down, I have made the patent itself available in a more easily downloadable form (a 2MB ZIP containing 61 TIF files).

The technology of PS3 is based on what IBM call the "Cell Architecture". This architecture is being developed by a team of 300 engineers from Sony, IBM and Toshiba. PS2 was developed by Sony and Toshiba. Sony appear to have designed the basic architecture, while Toshiba have figured out how to implement it in silicon. The new consortium includes IBM, who for PS3 will use their advanced fabrication technologies to build the chips faster and smaller than would otherwise have been possible. In addition, the effort is supposedly a holistic approach whereby tools and applications are being developed alongside the hardware. IBM have particular expertise in building applications and operating systems for massively parallel systems - I expect IBM to have significant input into the software for this system.

There is a lot of PS2 in the Cell Architecture. It is the PS2 flavour that is most apparent to me when I read the patent. However, IBM must be bringing a significant amount of stuff to the table too. The patent for instance refers to a VLIW processor with 4 FPUs, rather than a dual-issue processor with a single SIMD vector FPU. Does this imply that the chips are based on an IBM-style VLIW ALU set? Or does it just mean that it's a fast VU with a "very long instruction word" of only 2 instructions? Furthermore, note that IBM have been making and selling massively parallel supercomputers for several decades now. IBM experts' input on the programming paradigms and tool set are going to be invaluable. And the host processor finally drops the MIPS ISA in favour of IBM's own PowerPC instruction set. But we may not get to program the PPCs inside the PS3 anyway.

I have had to make assumptions. Forgive them. If anyone with insight or knowledge wishes to enlighten me, please do.
    Contents

* Foreword Cells
    * APUs
    o Instruction Width
    * Winnie the PU
    * PEs
    * The Broadband Engine
    * Visualizers
    * Will the Real PS3 Please Stand Up?
    * Memory : Sandboxes
    * Memory : Producer / Consumer Synchronization
    * Memory : Random Access, Caches, etc.